Magnum Opus in Digital Activation
Zeitgeist is fast running out of places to dispose of the bodies of clients and colleagues who blithely ask ‘Can we just do something with Facebook?’, ‘Why don’t we just make an app?’ or ‘Let’s do something viral!’ with no thought for what could actually be done or how it would fit into a larger strategic picture.
So, when we see a clever piece of digital activation supporting a larger campaign, it’s only right and proper that we highlight and celebrate it – particularly when the product it is promoting suggests that summer is on the way.
We recently chanced upon this offering from Magnum announcing the availability of Magnum Gold which places ordinary people in a spoof trailer directed by the celebrated Bryan Singer and co-starring none other than Academy Award winning Benicio del Toro and the lovely Caroline Correa. The trailer, based on the cinema version below, shows the three protagonists breaking into a vault to steal 75 million Magnum Golds because they couldn’t wait a day for them to appear in the shops.
Users simply upload their photograph and the app renders their face onto a third character who appears in the film.
The end product is pretty slick and can be shared on the usual social media sites along with downloadable customised movie posters.
When Zeitgeist added their own versions to their Facebook pages they rapidly attracted several approving comments and resulted in friends making their own versions – and the cycle was repeated. Viral box emphatically checked.
The site, which is supported by multiple languages is all part of a £3million campaign including TV, cinema, outdoor advertising, PR, in-store and on-pack promotions. While to some this might seem an expensive way to raise awareness of your ice cream, high profile brand ambassadors are nothing new to Magnum variants who have been promoted in the past by the likes of Eva Longoria and Eva Mendes and with Unilever claiming NPD saw the brand grow 10% last year it’s not surprise they stuck to a tried and tested formula.
So, for having the guts to make something so original and well executed, Zeitgeist is happy to help spread the word that the delicious Magnum Gold is out now.
Welcome to Zeitgeist and Stuff
- Another good summation of the #netneutrality debate economist.com/news/business/… Seems like current FCC classification i… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 17 hours ago
- Baidu is losing the battle of the BATs in China economist.com/news/business/… Lots of wheeling and dealing going on here... 17 hours ago
- RT @shauncollins: Quality of customer service to become a key measure of operator quality in the UK. Consumers don't join for CS yet but st… 17 hours ago
- RT @DigitalTrends: You might be seeing an Apple self-driving car sooner than you think! 😮 bit.ly/2oGUW95 17 hours ago
- RT @Variety: Hacker Threatens to Release New Season of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ bit.ly/2qfA09b 17 hours ago