A Seeding Campaign with a Difference
As most products are developed to create or fulfil a consumer need there is rarely a great deal of confusion as to how they should be used.
That is not so say that inventive consumers can’t find extra uses for everyday products.
In some cases these innovators benefit the product and change how it is marketed. Way back in 1924, Kimberley Clark targetted the humble Kleenex to women as a means of removing make-up. It took six years, a persistant researcher and some trial adverts to convince them it ought to be sold as a hygienic replacement for the handkerchief.
You butter not eat this
Recently it has been an item given away as part of an on-pack promotion that has caused some confusion and generated some unexpected column inches.
However, some residents of a Dorset care home mistook the slabs of soil for biscuits and nearly choked as they scoffed them down.
Upon hearing the news, Zeitgeist rushed out and boosted Lurpak‘s sales by one.
The on-pack promotion serves to give the shopper a distinctive reason to choose that product over any competitors, but as we know, the shopper isn’t always the consumer.
While the person who bought the butter for the care home would most likely have known what was stuck to the side of the tub, once the sleeve is removed there is no explanation as to what it is.
While this incident seems to be isolated and lighthearted it highlights the need to consider how a product is used once it leaves the store.
As our photographs show, the slab could be mistaken for a cookie by someone unaware the wider campaign.
Perhaps in these difficult financial times an opportunity exists for an entrepreneur to set up a panel consisting of the young, the old and the illiterate to test promotions to make sure such confusion is avoided in future.
What is Zeitgeist and stuff?
- @Variety charts how being nominated for best pic drives P2P filesharing. Drops again if they don't win on the night http://t.co/ID0bu84aEX 2 days ago
- "Blockbusterism often seems less like a strategy and more like a tendency" nyr.kr/1aPiPaU Why #blockbusters still rule @maegiFILMS 2 days ago
- @innovationanarc Hope you're going to attribute that quotation to its rightful source! 2 days ago
- RT @speculand: #Strategy is about making the right decisions; implementation is about taking the right actions. 2 days ago
- Great piece on #Weibo #IPO, how it differs from #Twitter's, censorship and #Alibaba's stake on.ft.com/1gZCM25 3 days ago