A Seeding Campaign with a Difference
As most products are developed to create or fulfil a consumer need there is rarely a great deal of confusion as to how they should be used.
That is not so say that inventive consumers can’t find extra uses for everyday products.
In some cases these innovators benefit the product and change how it is marketed. Way back in 1924, Kimberley Clark targetted the humble Kleenex to women as a means of removing make-up. It took six years, a persistant researcher and some trial adverts to convince them it ought to be sold as a hygienic replacement for the handkerchief.
You butter not eat this
Recently it has been an item given away as part of an on-pack promotion that has caused some confusion and generated some unexpected column inches.
However, some residents of a Dorset care home mistook the slabs of soil for biscuits and nearly choked as they scoffed them down.
Upon hearing the news, Zeitgeist rushed out and boosted Lurpak‘s sales by one.
The on-pack promotion serves to give the shopper a distinctive reason to choose that product over any competitors, but as we know, the shopper isn’t always the consumer.
While the person who bought the butter for the care home would most likely have known what was stuck to the side of the tub, once the sleeve is removed there is no explanation as to what it is.
While this incident seems to be isolated and lighthearted it highlights the need to consider how a product is used once it leaves the store.
As our photographs show, the slab could be mistaken for a cookie by someone unaware the wider campaign.
Perhaps in these difficult financial times an opportunity exists for an entrepreneur to set up a panel consisting of the young, the old and the illiterate to test promotions to make sure such confusion is avoided in future.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
What is Zeitgeist and stuff?
- @WRoissetter Thanks for your kind words! 8 hours ago
- Expat mother to son on UK customer service: "Get used to it. This is England, not Hong Kong. Everything goes slow". #Overheard 8 hours ago
- @FT on the fickle popularity of social networks, why interest in Facebook is waning and ways to combat inertia on.ft.com/14yqb2y 2 days ago
- Watching @CNBC discussing China's forays into cinema. Purchase of AMC theaters seen as attempt to control H'wood's imagery. #Censorship 2 days ago
- Sony says it will "consider" selling off entertainment assets variety.com/2013/biz/news/… 2 days ago