Sales of phones running Google’s Android OS platform finally overtook sales of Apple’s iPhone, it was reported today in the FT. This is of course big news, as the Android OS until now has been [portrayed, either self-perpetuated or by the media] as the underdog. However it was an inveitability as the Android operating system is now available on many different handsets from multiple manufacturers, who target a wide breadth of consumer demographics. Conversely, the iPhone OS runs on a single handset, the iPhone, built for a robust yet niche audience.
Zeitgeist paid Google UK HQ a visit recently to listen to the latest Android innovations, and can imagine the ensuing party that will take place in celebration of these results. The partying will be dampened however by related news that Oracle is to sue Google over Android over patent infringement.
What is Zeitgeist and stuff?
- Securitisations, hedging - The language of money, decoded by @NewYorker newyorker.com/magazine/2014/… 3 hours ago
- Lovely #luxury comms frm @TheLanesborough while under refurb. Library Bar trip pencilled in @byr0nic @robin_parkes? http://t.co/qN35kgayQE 6 hours ago
- With #Android capturing overwhelming share of developing markets, how will the #iPhone6 fare? businessinsider.com/android-and-ip… 9 hours ago
- Nice thinking in Singapore - donate your excess #4G data to charity springwise.com/singapore-mobi… #telco #CSR 9 hours ago
- The highs and lows of #ComicCon2014 variety.com/2014/film/news… 10 hours ago